Chicken Biryani – loved by food lovers across the world. It is a representative dish of India which reminds of the rich culinary heritage of the bygones. It is that dish which if cooked perfectly can turn into a dish par excellence. An aromatic and flavourful dish made with long grain Basmati rice, Chicken, fresh spices and yogurt that is cooked over low heat in steam for delectable flavours.
The recipe calls for various separate steps and have tried my best to explain the procedure in parts. Chicken was first marinated for an hour. You can marinate the chicken for longer hours, the longer the better. Rice ( half cooked) and Chicken is cooked separately and then both are combined and slow cooked in Oven (Dum). The major difference in the flavour comes from dry roasting the whole spices and then grinding them into a fine powder. You can also use the ready made spices but there will be a major difference in the flavours.
The flavour of the Biryani is enhanced by caramelised onions, roasted cashew nuts and chopped cilantro.
Now by the time Biryani is ready, your home will be full of aromatic flavour. That, I Promise 🙂
Go ahead and try this yummy Chicken Biryani. Don’t let the lengthy process of cooking stop you from trying this flavourful and scrumptious Biryani. Do leave your comments if you happen to try this recipe.
Serves – 2 people
1 Cup = 240 ml
Ingredients for Chicken Marinade:
- Chicken bone-in – 8 pieces
- 2 tbs Yogurt
- 1 tbs Kasoori methi (Dried Fenugreek leaves)
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
Ingredients for Whole Spices:
- Coriander seeds – 2tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Dried red chillies – 5
- Black peppercorns – 12
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch or ½ tsp in powder form
- Cloves – 5
- Green cardamom – 4
- Bay leaf – 1
Ingredients for Chicken Gravy:
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Green Chillies – 2 or 1 as per preference
- Yogurt – ½ cup
- Cilantro – chopped
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
Ingredients for Cooking Rice:
- 5 Cups of water
- 1 Cup rice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 Green cardamom pods (seeds to be used)
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp Salt
Ingredients for Layering of Biryani:
- 2 medium sized Onions (thinly sliced)
- Chopped Cilantro
- Lime juice – 2 tsp
- Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- 1 tbs Ghee/Butter
- Handful of cashews
Cooking instructions – How to prepare Chicken Biryani:
Marinating Chicken: Take Kasoori Methi, yogurt, salt and garam masala in a vessel and whisk all the contents with Chicken pieces. Keep the marinated chicken aside for minimum 1 hour. The longer the Chicken is marinated, the better the flavour is infused in the Chicken pieces.
Dry Roasting Spices: Place a wok on medium heat and dry roast all the listed whole spices till a nice aroma starts to fill in (roast for appx. 5-7 minutes). Allow the spices to cool down and then grind them coarsely. Keep aside.
Frying Onions: Heat 2 tbs oil in a pan and add sliced onions. Fry the onions on medium flame till golden brown in colour. Drain them on paper towel and keep aside.
Roasting cashew nuts: Take a tbs of oil in the same wok in which onions were fried and shallow fry the cashew nut until golden brown in colour. Drain on paper towel and keep aside.
Cooking Rice: Heat 5 cups of water in a large vessel. When the water comes to boil add cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, 2 tsp oil and salt. Mix well and add rice.
Cook the rice in medium heat till ¾ done. I cooked rice for appx. 10 minutes. Keep stirring in between so that the rice is uniformly cooked. Once done. Switch off the heat and strain the rice.
Preparing Chicken Gravy:
- Heat the remaining 2 tbs vegetable oil and add ginger garlic paste along with chopped green chillies. Saute for a minute or two on low-medium flame and then add Chicken pieces. Cook the Chicken for 5-6 minutes by keeping the lid close.
- Now add dry roasted spice powder, salt to taste and red chilly powder. Stir and mix well.
- Then add yogurt and chopped cilantro and add a little water.
- Cook the chicken in low-medium flame for another 10 minutes stirring in between. Make sure the gravy is thick and not too watery.
Layering of Chicken Biryani:
- Grease a baking pan and make a layer of rice in the pan. Sprinkle some chopped cilantro, cashews and fried onions. Then pour Chicken on top of rice making a second layer. Again sprinkle some fried onions, cilantro and cashews. Make a third layer of rice and a fourth one of Chicken gravy again. Sprinkle remaining chopped cilantro, fried onions and cashews nuts. Squeeze lime juice and sprinkle some garam masala on top. Pour a tbs of ghee/clarified butter.
- Now cover the baking pan with aluminium foil sealing all the edges completely.
- Bake the Biryani in pre-heated Oven @ 125 degrees C for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes remove biryani from the Oven. Mix gently with a spatula and serve hot with raita or Shorba.