Winters have arrived which means shorter days and less of the shining sun, cosying up on the couch watching your favourite series and layers of clothing. If winter means chilly days it also means the season for soups. I am not saying that one cannot have soup in summers but the flavour and experience of eating hot soup doubles up in chilly evenings.
The picture says it all ” Blown from the hand of God” this creamy pumpkin soup is sure to delight everyone. The flavour of roasted pumpkin with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg combined with coconut milk gives the soup a taste to die for. Simple to cook and good for health. Do try this creamy roasted pumpkin soup in winters !!
Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate
Serves – 4 people
- 3 tbs Olive oil
- Pumpkin – About 6 quarters (300 gms)
- 1 half medium sized onion (chopped)
- 2 Large garlic cloves minced/grated
- 4 Cloves
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Nutmeg powder
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- 1½ cup broth (vegetable or Chicken)
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 1 tbs Maple syrup
Cooking Instructions – How to prepare Creamy Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C and bake the pumpkin quarters until they can be easily pierced with a fork or a knife. The baking will take roughly 30 minutes.
- Set the pumpkin aside to cool and once cooled blend the pumpkin in a blender adding a little water. (The puree should be thick)
- Now heat olive oil in a pan and add garlic and onion. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add Pumpkin puree, cloves, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, salt, paprika and black pepper.
- Now pour broth into the pan stirring the mixture. Reduce flame to low-medium and keep stirring in between. Adjust the quantity of broth as per the consistency preference. Cook for appx. 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and maple syrup and stir.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as per taste. You can add more coconut milk for a creamier texture and more maple syrup for a sweeter version of the soup.
- Transfer soups into soup bowls and garish with coconut milk or cream and enjoy !!!