Afghani Vegetarian Pulao – I am falling short of words in describing how flavorful and colorful this rice dish is. The sweet flavor of raisins combined with hints of cardamom powder gives this dish a wow effect. To top it all the caramelized carrots enhance the taste and look of it. This royal looking and royal tasting dish is a crowd pleaser and perfect for any party. This dish makes you look like a Chef of a 5 Star Restaurant 🙂 Great isn’t? But once you cook, only you would have the secret of how easy and simple the recipe is.
I fell in love with Afghani food when my Hubby and I visited an Afghani Restaurant with a couple of his work mates. The Royal looking Afghani Vegetarian Pulao teamed with exotic Borani Banjan took my heart away. One look at the food stilled my hunger. I could keep looking at the beautiful food and not eat it probably because I have a thing for Food presentation. Now this Afghani dish tastes as good as it looks. I insist try this for yourself and if you try do leave your comments. Happy Cooking through the week 🙂
Serves – 2 people
1 Cup = 240 ml
- 1 Cup Rice
- 3 Cup Water to boil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Cooking oil
- 2 Small Carrot (cut into thin strips)
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Handful of Raisins
- 3/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
Cooking Instructions : How to prepare Afghani Vegetarian Pulao
- Soak 1 cup rice in water for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes drain the rice and set aside.
- In a pan bring 3 cups of water to boil. Add 2 tsp salt to the water. Add rice once the water starts boiling.
- Cook the rice for appx. 10 minutes stirring in between. Cook the rice till al dente. The rice should be firm yet cooked. Once done drain the water and set the rice aside.
- Now while the rice is cooking take 2 tsp oil in a pan and heat it. Once oil is hot add carrot strips and cook for 2-3 minutes on low-medium heat, stirring in between.
- Once the carrot is half cooked add 2 tsp sugar and then the raisins. Mix well. Cook for another 2 minutes and then drain on paper towel.
- Now take an aluminium foil and place the carrots and the raisins in the center of it. Close all the sides forming a packet.
- Now transfer the rice to an ovenware and sprinkle cardamom powder on top. Place the foil packet on top of rice and seal the ovenware with aluminium foil.
Preheat the Oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) and place the Rice in the Oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Mix the carrot & raisins with the rice and enjoy your meal with Borani Banjan.
The rice is as delicious as it looks. The aroma that is produced while cooking this rice will surely increase your hunger.