Another favorite Afghani dish of mine is Borani Banjan. The first time I relished the dish I remember how thrilled I was to discover such a unique and exotic way of cooking eggplants. For who would have thought of such beautiful looking dish can be made out of eggplants. No offense to eggplant! Though I am not very fond of them but yes Baingan Bharta made out of eggplants is my all time favorite.
Borani Banjan is made out of slicing eggplants. Shallow frying them and then layering them with tomato sauce and yogurt topped with mint. You can also bake the eggplants which makes the dish hell lot healthier. Since this was the first time I made Borani Banjan I chose to not- twist the recipe. Next time for sure will bake the eggplants for good health’s sake.
I guess I am deeply in love with Afghani food and the experiments with the exotic cuisine are just the beginning. Stay tuned for more Afghani recipes. For now do try this one. This dish goes very well with naan or Afghani Vegetarian Pulao.
Ingredients for Tomato Sauce:
1 Cup = 240 ml
- ½ Eggplant
- 2 Tomatoes medium size
- 2 Large Garlic Clove (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Paprika
- Salt to Taste
- Some Water
- Vegetable Cooking oil
Ingredients for Yogurt Sauce:
- ¾ Cup Yogurt
- ½ tsp mint
- 1 Large Garlic Clove (grated)
Cooking Instructions : How to prepare Afghani Borani Banjan
- Wash and slice eggplants into ¼ inches thick slices.
- Heat oil in a pan on low-medium and fry the eggplants. Flip the eggplants once golden brown on one side. Take care not to over fry the eggplants as this will make them very soggy.
- Once golden brown on both sides drain the eggplants on paper towel and keep aside.
- Repeat the above mentioned steps until all the slices are fried.
- Now heat 2 tbs oil in a pan and add chopped garlic. Saute the garlic for 2 minutes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder, paprika and salt to taste.
- Add a little water and cook the tomatoes for 5 – 10 minutes on low-medium heat, until soft and mushy.
Separately prepare the yogurt sauce. Whisk the yogurt and add grated garlic and dried mint. Mix well.
To assemble the dish take a serving plate and place the fried eggplant slices. Layer tomato sauce on top of eggplants and finally place a layer of yogurt on top. Sprinkle some dried mint and enjoy the dish hot with scrumptious Afghani Vegetarian Pulao.